Why Rubiks?

Until my current deployment to Afghanistan, I'd only ever tried to get one side of the cube, as quickly as I could, and only once did I get even two sides at the same time. I had a breakthrough to the next step while I was out here, and there was someone willing to show me the remaining steps to solve the 3x3x3 cube. Once I got the hang of that one, I moved up to a 5x5x5, and learned a couple of new tricks for the larger cubes. I taught myself the 7x7x7, and then started making designs to give a bit of a challenge. Here, for those who wish to take the time to view, are the results. Enjoy! :)

Friday, June 8, 2012

New Cubes!!!

I got my new cubes yesterday (7 June)!  Pretty excited about it, if you couldn't tell :)

I got the 4x4x4 because though I'm able to solve a much larger cube quite easily now, I've never solved a cube with an even number of blocks in each row, always just 3, 5, or 7.  I also look forward to seeing what unusual designs I can come up with once I do solve it.

I got the 5x5x5 because I haven't played around with it much.  I basically moved right from it to the 7x7x7 during my last deployment, and then stayed there.  I want to see what sorts of designs I can make on this one.  Probably not much more than smaller ones versions of the ones I've already made on the larger cube, but we'll see.

The 3x3x3 mirrored cube is just an oddity that I don't think will take much effort to solve, but look forward to finding out for certain.  I like that instead of mixing up the colors it mixes up the shape.  It may provide a different set of difficulties, though I would be surprised if the algorithms are different than for the other cubes.

No comments:

Post a Comment