Why Rubiks?

Until my current deployment to Afghanistan, I'd only ever tried to get one side of the cube, as quickly as I could, and only once did I get even two sides at the same time. I had a breakthrough to the next step while I was out here, and there was someone willing to show me the remaining steps to solve the 3x3x3 cube. Once I got the hang of that one, I moved up to a 5x5x5, and learned a couple of new tricks for the larger cubes. I taught myself the 7x7x7, and then started making designs to give a bit of a challenge. Here, for those who wish to take the time to view, are the results. Enjoy! :)

Sunday, June 10, 2012

4x4x4 Cube

This cube had a twist I hadn't expected (though perhaps I should have).  Since it has an even number of blocks on each face, there are no set centers, hence, when I first attempted to solve it, as you can see in the second and third pictures, some of my corners were off because I didn't think to ensure that the color centers were placed appropriately.  Once I fixed that, it was easy to solve the rest.

I think that the fact the centers aren't constrained to a specific order (though the respective corners are) will allow for the possibility of some interesting designs in the future.  We'll see what I can come up with :) (originally solved, with all solid sides, on 10 June 2012)












No comments:

Post a Comment